On this episode of Feminist Frequency Radio we take a look at The Half of It, the second film from Saving Face director Alice Wu. Available for streaming on Netflix, the film is a take on the classic-literature-as-teen-movie genre, reimagining Cyrano de Bergerac as wry, bookish teenager Ellie Chu, who reluctantly agrees to help charming but dim-witted Paul woo the girl that Ellie herself has a crush on. Join us as we examine how this film subverts expectations of the genre, telling a surprisingly multi-faceted story of teen angst.
4:47 – Main Discussion on The Half of It
41:52 – What’s Your Freq Out?
* Carolyn on Driveways (2019) directed by Andrew Ahn and starring Hong Chau, Lucas Jaye, and Brian Dennehy
* Ebony on Tongan responses to Rutger Bregman’s telling of “real life” Lord of the Flies – https://twitter.com/endlessyarning/status/1259346151154708480?s=20 – https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/may/09/the-real-lord-of-the-flies-what-happened-when-six-boys-were-shipwrecked-for-15-months
* Anita on the novels The Relentless Moon: A Lady Astronaut Novel by Mary Robinette Kowal and The Last Emperox by John Scalzi
* Guest freq out from listener Juno on Oceans 11 but it’s Gay – https://youtu.be/md2m_qi4Kjc
** Support the Stay in the Game Relief Fund – https://givebutter.com/stayinthegame
* Join our community via Patreon – https://patreon.com/femfreq
or give and help make the media more feminist: http://www.feministfrequeny.com/donate
* Subscribe to FFR on Apple Podcasts: https://apple.co/2t4wu4I
* Twitter: @femfreq https://bit.ly/316OVCC
* Instagram: @femfreq https://bit.ly/37AbMJd
* Our Website: http://www.feministfrequency.com/