Today on the podcast we’re joined by Special Guest Walter Chaw, film critic Film Freak Central, to discuss writer/director Lee Isaac Chung’s semi-autobiographical film Minari, which despite being about an American family pursuing a version of the American Dream, controversially won Best Foreign Language Film at the 2021 Golden Globe Awards. Listen in as we discuss how this beautifully authentic film insightfully approaches a particular American experience through the story of the Yi family.
8:55 – Main discussion on Minari
45:27 – What’s your Freq Out?
* Special Guest Walter Chaw on increased Asian American visibility and representation in recent film releases along with the increase of hate crime against Asian Americans.
* Walter Chaw’s review of Minari at Film Freak Central: https://www.filmfreakcentral.net/ffc/2021/01/minari.html
* Walter Chaw’s review of Raya and the Last Dragon at Film Freak Central: https://www.filmfreakcentral.net/ffc/2021/03/raya-and-the-last-dragon.html
* Denver Public Library Saturday Matinee film series: https://www.denverlibrary.org/event
* Saturday Matinee series on the Denver Public Library Youtube channel: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQPHvdgvOBPPE4pOKdkyVxfqDbu6Q_1ci
* Join our community via Patreon – https://patreon.com/femfreq
or give and help make the media more feminist: http://www.feministfrequeny.com/donate
* Subscribe to FFR on Apple Podcasts: https://apple.co/2t4wu4I
* Subscribe to our Star Trek podcast: https://apple.co/316PtZc
* Twitter: @femfreq https://bit.ly/316OVCC
* Instagram: @femfreq https://bit.ly/37AbMJd
* Our Website: http://www.feministfrequency.com/