Cyberpunk Summer is here, and we’re coming in hot with JOHNNY MNEMONIC, the 1995 film directed by Robert Longo and based on the 1981 short story by one of the authors credited with the invention of the cyberpunk genre: William Gibson. It boasts a preposterous cast, including Keanu Reeves, Dolph Lundgren, Takeshi Kitano, Ice-T, and Henry Rollins. The film, which was made at the time the internet was starting to enter everyday lives, includes a lot of the elements we’ve come to associate with cyberpunk fundamentally, but how does it feel to watch it in 2022 (one year after the events are the movie are set)? Join Anita, Kat, and our special guest—journalist and podcaster Ryan Broderick—as we try to make sense of it all.
43:19 – What’s your Freq Out?
* Kat on the reboot of Queer as Folk
* Anita on seeing Hannah Gadsby live
* Ryan on the fan reactions to the latest season of The Boys
* Newsletter: garbageday.email
* Podcast: thecontentmines.com
* Join our community via Patreon – https://patreon.com/femfreq
or give and help make the media more feminist: http://www.feministfrequeny.com/donate
* Subscribe to FFR on Apple Podcasts: https://apple.co/2t4wu4I
* Subscribe to our Star Trek podcast: https://apple.co/316PtZc
* Twitter: @femfreq https://bit.ly/316OVCC
* Instagram: @femfreq https://bit.ly/37AbMJd
* Twitch: @femfreq twitch.tv/femfreq (every Thursday at 6:30pm PT)
* Our Website: http://www.feministfrequency.com/