This week, we’re adding to our collection of conversations on iconic 90s Black cinema by delving into the aesthetics and atmosphere of Kasi Lemmons’ 1997 directorial debut, EVE’S BAYOU. Joining us to discuss this gem of a film is Dr. Taiyon Coleman, who last joined our podcast for our I Am Not Your Negro episode.
CW: This episode includes discussion of incest, abuse, and sexual assault. If you or someone you know is suffering with these issues please call the National Sexual Assault Hotline at 1-800-656-4673 to get the support you need.
41:42 – What’s your Freq Out?
* Anita on the film The Lost Daughter, directed by Maggie Gyllenhaal
* Submit your own FREQ out at feministfrequency.com/FREQOUT
FFR episode on I Am Not Your Negro – https://feministfrequency.com/ebony-dr-coleman-on-i-am-not-your-negro-james-baldwin-white-supremacy-police-violence-2/
Follow Dr. Taiyon Coleman:
* Upcoming anthology – Sparked: George Floyd, Racism, and the Progressive Illusion, edited by Walter Jacobs
* Forthcoming book this year – Traveling without Moving: Personal Essays on Motherhood, Love, Equity, and Teaching
* Join our community via Patreon – https://patreon.com/femfreq
or give and help make the media more feminist: http://www.feministfrequeny.com/donate
* Subscribe to FFR on Apple Podcasts: https://apple.co/2t4wu4I
* Subscribe to our Star Trek podcast: https://apple.co/316PtZc
* Twitter: @femfreq https://bit.ly/316OVCC
* Instagram: @femfreq https://bit.ly/37AbMJd
* Twitch: @femfreq twitch.tv/femfreq (every Thursday at 6:30pm PT)
* Our Website: http://www.feministfrequency.com/