This week on our Cyberpunk Summer series, we’re joined by writer, journalist, and podcaster Emily St. James to discuss Strange Days, Kathryn Bigelow’s 1995 action thriller starring Ralph Fiennes, Angela Bassett, and Juliette Lewis. Based on a story by Bigelow’s ex-husband James Cameron, Strange Days was influenced by several sensational early-’90s news stories, including the trial of Lorena Bobbitt and the 1992 L.A. riots. Set in a black market trading in virtual reality recordings of people’s past experiences and memories, Fiennes and Bassett play an ex-cop and a bodyguard who investigate a murder seen on one of these recordings.
CW: This episode includes discussions of fictionalized sexual assault.
Note: Like your podcasts a little more polished? Check out the edited audio version of this episode at Patreon.com/femfreq or any of your favorite podcatchers.
46:05 – What’s your Freq Out?
* Kat on the pilot episode of the Peacock series The Resort
* Anita on Somatic Experiencing
* Emily on all things Michelle Zauner
* Newsletter: https://emilyvdw.letterdrop.com/
* Podcast: https://www.ardenpodcast.com/
* Join our community via Patreon – https://patreon.com/femfreq
or give and help make the media more feminist: http://www.feministfrequeny.com/donate
* Subscribe to FFR on Apple Podcasts: https://apple.co/2t4wu4I
* Subscribe to our Star Trek podcast: https://apple.co/316PtZc
* Twitter: @femfreq https://bit.ly/316OVCC
* Instagram: @femfreq https://bit.ly/37AbMJd
* Twitch: @femfreq twitch.tv/femfreq (every Thursday at 6:30pm PT)
* Our Website: http://www.feministfrequency.com/